Monday, June 30, 2008

Sunday on San Juan Island

Sunday was alas our final day on San Juan.  We decided to take a day trip to Orcas and call it a day.  It was a rather early ferry and a really peaceful ride.  I finished up my baby blankets and the hubbster got some great pictures of the archipelago.

When we arrived at Orcas, we had to go off to the left, so we followed the road to a town I think was called Eastsound.  We had eaten breakfast by then, but it was a restless night on the twin bed, so I wanted my soy chai latte.  We walked around to look for a map (and a soy chai) and found a neat kayak place.  The hubby wants to kayak from Orcas to Sousha Island (I am not sure I spelled it correctly...).  After inquiring about rates, we got a recommendation for a soy chai.  There were a beach north of there from which one could view Sousha, so we went to it, saying our morning prayers, ending with saying them on the beach.  It was lovely.

The blob of land in the sea is sousha island. Yep - at some point we will kayak there from the beach and camp on the island. But, on that day, I just had my soy chai and picked up shells. Lance has a rather Pacific Northwestern picture of me:

Those shorts are not mine - they are my hubby's (but they fit...)

Then we went up Mount Constitution. The hubby suggested hiking up it (he has biked up it before) - I said I did not care about our carbon foot print for this event. I was REALLY sore after running the previous day.

So we got to the top and saw some spectacular views. Here is I am trying to cover up my cellulite.


There was a watchtower (or just a look out) at the top, so we climbed up to see what we could see. This is what the hubby saw:


I saw a boy throw a cap off the tower to his sister below. He got a teacher stare and a request to cease and desist his actions.

:|

I CAN'T help it - I discipline children when I see behavior that needs modification - oh what the heck, when a kid is being a chode, I will call him or her on it!

Anyhow, I got a little dizzy looking down and after trying (without success) to take a picture of a swallow in flight, we left.  There are some really cool group tent sites up there and it would be a fun place for a reunion.

We went to Cafe Olga for lunch. YUM!!! Best food on island and reasonably priced - so if you go to Orcas Island, Cafe Olga is your place.

They had a really good salad that took the place of a traditional pasta salad. It was snap peas cut into half inch pieces, mandolined carrots and red onion, small pieces of bell pepper all in some dressing (very light) that had thyme in it. SOOOO good - I will of course work on re-creating it.

After that, we just cruised around the island, which doesn't take long. We walked around, checked out the cost to rent a moped (too much, just bring a car), and reflected on our journey.

"Do you think this place is less cool if you live here?"

"Nah."

No comments: