Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pallisers Part II...or How It Got VERY Interesting...

So, here goes my second post of the summer...I watched part II of the Pallisers while I stitched up a baby blanket today (pictures coming soon).

It was MUCH better - well...it totally bit for Plantagenet and Glencora.

She TOTALLY zoned out during the wedding - BWAAAAAAHHH...idiot.

Seriously, the guy she liked before (no clue what his name is, so I will call him fratboy moocher) is a LOSER...he's not even that cute (in the movie). He is living off (from what I understand) Cousin Alice's cousin, George.

Might I add here that I am SOOOOOOOOoooooo glad it is illegal to marry your cousin. It is the same problem with polygamy - too many names. Imagine if your Aunt was also your father's second wife (I saw this on Oprah) - your cousin would also be your brother or sister. Ew.

And if you had to marry your cousin, then your cousin would also be your husband or wife. TOO MANY NAMES!!!

Cousin Alice (Glencora's cousin) was once engaged to George Vavasor!!! (Alice's cousin is George - that is George Adam St. George Vavasor, not to be confused with his father George Michael St. George Vavasor...I read the glossary, so I should know...)

And she broke it off because George had some action on the side. And now she's torn because she is engaged to some total bore (Mr. Gray - she knows she doesn't love him). George knows it (it = Mr. Gray is boring and Alice knows he is boring) and is trying to seduce her. He makes a HILARIOUS scene in this part.

He compares himself to whiskey...

AHHHHAAAAHHHAAAA!!!!

And Mr. Gray to milk!

I guess they don't do vodka in England, 'cause Alice could have a nice white Russian if she played her cards right...

Moving along.

Glencora and Plantagenet make a tour of the Continent and she "runs" into her former lover at the fencing school while he is all tight-trousered and masked.

But Plantagenet reigns her in before she starts throwing herself at him again...she just gets to drool a little before her new husband is at her side. She is SOOO obvious - didn't she have some lessons on how to subtlety ogle guys?

George and Fratboy moocher are in cahoots to take Glencora off the path of virtue - George because he is a rake and Fratboy because he desires Glencora. In his words "I used to be able to touch her and have her melt in my hands."

Ew - do guys really talk like this? I don't think my hubby even in his courtin' days thought like this.

But then what do I know?

And I MAKE A PREDICTION: George is financing this whole operation, but the novel is called "Can You Forgive Her?" so I predict that Glencora gets seduced, runs off with moocher fratboy, does not get any of her inheritance, fratboy drops her, and she goes running back to Plantanget and HE FORGIVES her.

His uncle, in his part, says that Glencora should be allowed her dalliances, but only in the shrubbery and not on the drawing room floor.

Because he has experience with rug burns - seriously, how does...where does he...you know he has some nerve giving his advice to both Glencora and Plantagenet (he received it in part I) because it will only lead to ruin.


Overall impression:

I think all of the actors are quite good, but the style is somewhat stiff and theatrical. I think the only reason I pay attention to the character of George is because he is the only one that seems real. The others seem so...two-dimensional. Glencora is a bit melodramatic, but I think that is her character.

So...on ward to the rest...of the 11 discs..

1 comment:

Katy said...

So far I've read the first book--my least favorite Trollope--and it's funny to read your comments and predictions. :) Just to give you a hint, the heroine of the book is Alice.

I have the second book--Phineas Finn--on my shelf, but it's daunting me. Looks more political than societal. Maybe this'll inspire me to start it, though, cause I do want to watch the series when you're finished.