Monday, June 30, 2008

Marcel Fremont -- Memory Eternal

On Friday Erin Hanlon called me to tell me that Marcel Fremont had died.  She had received an email from Rebecca Sugars and didn't remember if we knew him or not.  I didn't quite hear her at first because I was opening the screen door to cool off our hot condo.  After many contextual clues, I caught the importance of what she was saying.

I personally did not know Marcel, but my hubby did and I said I would relay the message.  When he got home, I told him about Marcel.  He was shocked - I wondered if it was true.  The message could have been relayed incorrectly - perhaps he was just injured.  The hubby didn't think so -- he thought if anyone knew it would be Rebecca, who was a close friend of Marcel's. 

We were both hesitant in reporting this to anyone, but last night Andrei Maciag called to let my hubby know too.

And we were given this website: Marcel Fremont

I personally did not know Marcel well and would not feel comfortable posting a comment there, but I would like to write a little something here.

I remember seeing Marcel my first year at St. John's and thinking him one of the best looking men ever.  He was just very handsome and seemed genuinely kind.  Jen Rogers once recalled seeing him dance in the rain in the uppers courtyard and finding it one of the most beautiful things she ever did see (or at least by her Senior year).

Perhaps it was because we were at small community at St. John's, but there was this inexplicable way that you knew people's names.  So it was with Marcel -- I knew his name, his face, probably exchanged two words with him.

And yet his reputation was one of absolute goodness.  He was known for thoughtful comments in seminar, his music, his helpfulness, his loyalty as a friend, and his playful energy and humor.  There were plenty of people at St. John's who had a less than stellar reputation or no reputation at all, but I think Marcel stood out as a leader.

Which is why his early death is such a sting to those who hear it.  It is a tragedy and we can only hope that people will remember his goodness and try to emulate it in the world.  It is terrible to lose someone so early in life and even more difficult to comprehend when someone so good leaves this earth.

Marcel -- May Your Memory Be Eternal.

1 comment:

larry snyder said...

Nice to see a reminder of Marcel. Marcel, we all miss you.

larry