Monday, June 23, 2008

A Review of The Darjeeling Limited...

...or How I Managed to Behave in Front of My Husband...

Let me explain why I would need to behave...

See this guy?



Most women would say "HAAAAaaacheee Machee!"

Me: "Meh...he looks like a bloated chipmunk"


Now...this one...



and this one...



even...this one...



(not even kidding on the Harry Potter - back when GoF came out I was in Chicago...and not a Harry Potter fan at all...I saw this cover in the Borders I always hung out in and thought "Whoa! That fictional character illustration is kinda hot!!!" :| Don't judge me!)

So, then I hear Wes Anderson, one of my FAVORITE directors, is doing a movie and I get super excited because this is the movie poster:



I almost fainted...just get rid of the blond, and it is droolfest for me.

Now, if you do look at my profile, you will know that I absolutely ADORE Rushmore; it is my FAVORITE movie and the debut for Jason Schwartzman.

If I was the type of person to say I have a "boyfriend", I would COMPLETELY "boyfriend" Jason Schwartzman!

Anyhow, I also like the plot and characters of Rushmore. It is just the type of movie that appeals to me. Now, I didn't like Bottle Rocket and not just for the absence of the hot menz...the characters just didn't appeal to me.

What I love the most about the characters in a Wes Anderson film is that quite often the protagonist is someone of mean abilities and little intelligence but they are reaching for greatness and with all of the pomp of someone who should rightfully achieve that greatness.

So, the protagonist is quite often like me :D

There is also usually a character (quite often female) who is super intelligent, knows the protagonist well enough to see his weakness, and she knows exactly how to steer the sinking ship (without actually steering - she usually let's him fall on his bum).

And there is a beauty and goofiness to all the proceedings that I just ADORE and ENJOY watching. I honestly think Rushmore is the best work because there is a darkness there, an innocence lost in Max, but then, a come back at the end that makes the film fantastic.

I next enjoy Steve Zisou and then Royal Tenebaums - but they are not my favs.

The Darjeeling Limited attempts to have THREE such protagonists - three very different brothers all trying to come to terms with the lack of parents and direction. All three are very flawed and do not care for each other at all - this idea is well established at the beginning.

I enjoy all the quirks of the characters and the ridiculous situations, but there is no real STORY here. I think the conflict is that the brothers must get to know each other and come to terms with their father's death and feel a need to find their mother for some sort of conclusion (again, an intelligent, but flawed, female who understands her family) - but it is not a very interesting conflict.

I am not compelled to love these characters - at the end of the movie, I sort of understand who they are and their motivations, but the characterisation is so shallow. It is mostly quirks and neuroses.

The set was pretty cool - I really liked the journey and train aspect of it all.

So, I just sat back and contemplated why the above gentleman (sans Pitt) are so attractive to me...and enjoyed some eye candy:)

I suppose it all starts with my father - at least that is what Freud thinks. But I am inclined to believe that we are so attracted to those who resemble us or our parents NOT because we are sexually attracted to ourselves or our parents, but because that is our environment. Our parents, our own features, create a Platonic "form" in our mind of what is comfortable and good.

So, my dad has large eyes, dark hair, thick eyebrows, and a moustache. So, naturally I would be attracted to dark haired men and facial hair.

But not moustaches - NEVER moustaches!

But, somewhere along the line I also found large noses attractive. It could be from watching Bert from Sesame Street (his unibrow was pretty cool) - but I think that my family has some pretty large noses too (me included).

So there you have it - dark men with prominent noses - large eyes and nice smile...longish, slim face...that is pretty much my dream guy...

Which is why I always feel like my hubby is the hottest man in the room...



This is why it was SOOOO difficult to behave - what with all the eye candy in the room! I am seriously lucky to have such a sexy man for a hubby!

1 comment:

Katy said...

That is a GREAT pic of Lance--he should become an actor just to use it as his head shot. :) I like the other sunset ones of him, too--the "annoyed hubby" and the "realizing he's ridiculous hubby". Very cute.