Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Pallisers Part 5 - Oh No You Didn' George!!!

George Vavasor is a jerkface and a half. If I had to list the jerkfaces in the series so far in order of jerkfaciness, it would be:

George Vavasor
Duke (old dude with really bad advice)
Burgo "Fratboy" Fitzgerald
John Grey
Plantagenet Palliser

George smacked Alice around!!! What the heck!!! And he was still shacked up with Jane!!! And he comes at John Grey with a whip!!!

!!!

I really like the actor though - he plays the rouge very well...and Alice (as a character) is coming up the ranks in my opinion. She is pretty level headed and I always appreciate that in people (see above remarks - I am WAY passionate).

Oh, and about the Grey and George fight scene - first of all I love that Mr. Scooby (that's what I cal him - the Dodo guy) spilled the beans without knowing he spilled the beans. And the fight scene was REALLY scary (yes, I am easily scared) but the one thing it lacked was good fight scene music. Every fight scene should have really good music.

And I was yelling at the TV during that time: "SHUT UP! OH MY GORSH MR. SCOOBS SHUT UP!!!" (when Mr. S was spilling beans)

My husband, who had wandered into the room to see what I was yelling at, says : "You really like making it interactive, don't you?"

Well, yes - yes I do!

And TEE HEE, my husband has not watched it from the start, but I suggested we watch part 5 last night and he said "I would rather watch something else more interesting."

:|

I said "Fine - you don't have to watch it with me."

So he wanders off and comes back to find me yelling at the TV - then hears the words "Chancellor of the Exchequer" (I so cannot spell it, but I know it is a funky English word). That was all the hook he needed and he sat down and watched the whole rest of the episode with me.

Why would "Chancellor of the Exchequer" be a hook word for him? Well, we watched the Amazing Mrs. Prtichard (which was a pretty amazing series - and short with only 6 episodes) and we now know how the British Parliamentary system works. Granted, it was a bit different during the Victorian Era, but still very similar. Anyhow, I think he felt he would not understand anything (IE it was a "Soap Opera"), but he caught CoE and he got that part.

Why is it that boys need politics to be interested in a drama? It is like in War and Peace - a PERFECT novel, except for all the war and philosophy of history ramblings. Except, most men see it the other way - PERFECT novel except for all the bits where Sonya and Natasha bore them to death.

Anyhow, before I got off on that tangent, I was talking about jerkfaces.

Another part where I was yelling at the TV is when the Duke went to Palliser's uncle (the old dude who is also a Duke) to discuss Palliser's rejection of the CoE seat. I was SOOOOooo mad because the DUKE IS THE CAUSE OF ALL THIS MISERY!!! If Palliser and Glencora had married people they loved, then Palliser could become the great politician he is meant to be because his wife would have understood and supported his choice. Shoot - ALICE gets it! But NOOOOOooooooo the old dude has to have things his way and everyone is miserable.

Well, George caused his own misery, so I guess I cannot place ALL the misery of the world on the old dude, but still - WHAT A JERKFACE! If someone does not tell the Duke this to his face by the end of the series, I will be VERY disappointed.

But the scene I like the best was the opening scene where Glencora flat out tells Plantagenet that she cannot love him.

:(((

I felt the actress did a really fine job with portraying the misery Glencora is feeling - that Glencora is still a little girl who has no parents, who still needs to sow her wild oats, who cannot put her feelings aside for duty. I completely empathize which is why I am scared of becoming a parent.

But that is a whole 'nother can of worms, so let's move on to the cold demeanor of the actor who plays Palliser. Does this guy know how to smile? The actor has one expression and it is driving me NUTS. I know Palliser is serious and very virtuous, but I am sure he can give some sense of what he is feeling inside on the outside.

But, again, perhaps that is the character.

Onward to the final episode in the "Can You Forgive Her?" section.

No comments: