Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wait, What?

I had planned to write about some films that were nominated for an Oscar, and then I realized I had seen a grand total of two of the ten films.

So, I think I will write about the list of films and then write about some films I have recently seen that were memorable.

The Other Boylen Sister (British version) -- I LOVED the acting and plot in general. Didn't like how Mary turned to camera to tell her story, seemed too modern.

The Other Bolyn Sister (American version) -- Hm, Eric Bana is dreamy and a bit TOO dreamy for King Henry. Can Scarlet Johansson and Natalie Portman be more GOREGOUS??? Not possible. It was only *slightly* better than the British version

Sweet Charity -- I can see why this film flopped. Shirley Maclaine was AMAZING -- AMAZING! The plot and the musical numbers took way too long. Gotta love Fossy though -- and Chita Rivera!!!

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly -- What a BEAUTIFUL film this was! I really want to read the book because the main character was quite interesting. I enjoyed how the film didn't make him saintly and made him human. I had not seen work by this director and I am really intrigued to see more of his work. I can't recall the name of his latest film, but I will need to see it.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest -- If anyone read the book, could you please tell me if the defense attorney was pregnant in the book? My friend and I were wondering about this because no one in the film seems to take her pregnancy into any consideration. Which was pretty cool. If Nina wanted to ever get a real mohawk, I would get the clippers and hair gel. The push ups in jail were AWESOME. I also liked Lisabeth's warthog head earring. Swedish film is just excellent and I liked the conclusion of the series because everyone gets their comeuppance.

It Happened One Night -- I haven't seen a black and white film in quite awhile or one so old. Well, not terribly old. I forgot what it was like when films didn't rely on so much editing to tell a story. The scenes were chalked full of good acting because the actors had to interact more as if they were on stage. They had to give it their all because it would not be easy to cut away bad takes. It was AMAZING -- funny, full of heart, and a happy ending.

*Start Oscar Nominated Film Review*

Films Nominated (those in bold I have seen): Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids are All Right, The King's Speech, 127 Hours, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone

The King's Speech -- I love me some Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush (though I would prefer to see the former in a wet shirt). I also like Helena Bonham Carter, but she was not a big draw for me. The film was well done, but I found myself "underwhelmed" (to quote a friend). It was a feel good movie with EXCELLENT acting. Worth an Academy Award? Well, they won, so I suppose so.

The Kid's Are Alright -- I saw this when it was originally released. I LOVED IT! The acting was terrific and the situations were very true to life. I enjoyed how the moms didn't like the son's friend and it is later that he realized they were right. It just captured all of these moments in one's family life that are simple yet profound.

I REALLY want to see True Grit, Black Swan, and 127 hours in that order. I *might* want to see Winter's Bone if I knew more about it.

No comments: