Friday, March 18, 2011

Kitchen Experiments 2: The Sequel

Since discovering that my gallbladder was on the fritz, I have avoided red meat and pork as much as possible. I continue to remind myself that the allure of the hotdog would make me REALLY feel terrible. Telling myself I can't have lamb will be even more difficult.

I have had success eating buffalo (or bison) in the past -- no vomiting after or worse coming from the other end.

I remembered a recipe Rachel Ray wrote in her 2, 4, 6, 8 cook book for lamb meatballs. Lance and I had both enjoyed them (when I could eat lamb) and I figured lamb had about the same consistency as bison (or buffalo).

Modifying her recipe, I was able to create my won delicious recipe.


Buffalo Meatballs (approximately 16 tbsp sized meatballs)

1 lb buffalo (or bison)

3 cloves (medium size) garlic - peeled

1/2 small onion (about the size of a tennis ball)

1/4 cup parsley

1 small red bell pepper - cut and seeded (really, any bell pepper would do)

2 tbsp olive oil

salt & pepper


1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Place garlic, onion, parsley, bell pepper, and olive oil in a food processor. Pulse to get everything somewhat chopped, and then grind to a smooth consistency (not quite pesto, but smooth).

3. Place buffalo in a medium sized bowl and add salt and pepper. Add mixture from food processor and really mix well with the buffalo.

4. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a large spoon, scoop about a tablespoon sized amount of the mixture and place it onto the baking sheet (on the paper). There should be about 16 meatballs total.

5. Bake meatballs for about 10 - 12 minutes until liquid runs clear. You could save the liquid and freeze it for future use OR use the drippings to make a pan gravy for the meatballs.

I served these meatballs along with a Lenten pasta bake; Nina liked her 2 cubic centimeters of cooked meatball smashed and blended with caramelized butternut squash and breastmilk.


Look for a future recipe for AMAZING vegan scones!

No comments: