Saturday, September 19, 2009

Making Catrina

I have never been a fan of Halloween. The whole holiday is a mystery to me. For years I resisted dressing up and, since I am a teacher, it is particualrly difficult to not seem "Scrooge-like" around the "holiday".

However, I in recent years have become enamoured with Dia de Los Muertos - probably because I am Mexican and can understand a celebration of death that is more jolly and less creepy. I love how Dia de Los Muertos celebrates the rememberance of the dead and how life continues after death. I really want to set up an altera this year and make some sugar skulls.

Since the local HP Alliance chapter (which I am a part of) is hosting a Halloween themed concert this year, I have decided to step up my Halloween costume. Last year I went as a Ravenclaw, but this year I want to dress up as La Calavera Catrina.

So, I am going to start my inspiration board here:

So - Catrina is a bit naked and since it is a family event, I don't think that will work. But, she is usually shown in some sort of early 1900s fashion. Like these gals:






I don't think I could rock (or wrock, har har) the wide brim hat or bustle, much less the heavy facepaint. I will have to teach all day the day of the concert.

So here is what I am thinking:

- Black dress that has a sort of 60's look or other black dress that has a 40's look

- Smoky eye make up and dark red lipstick (I have neither one and have no idea how to accomplish this)

- Lace gaunlets (I could probably make these)

- gorgeous green beaded necklace ($20 at Anthropolgie! Score!)

- earrings that look like little sugar skulls

- I have a red pillbox hat with flowers, but then I saw this halloween themed one at fireworks gallery, and felt inspired. I will try to make a black one with the same netting but decorate it in some teal green flower clips that I got at H & M that match the necklace

- I need a sexy, yet comfortable, black shoe; it will be october and freakin' cold and rainy and the school I am at has LOTS of stairs

More pictures to come soon! Suggestions are welcome :D

2 comments:

Katy said...

Yikes! Less creepy than WHAT?!?

juliana said...

Well, I find it less creepy than Halloween. But then again I did discet a cat in college :)