Thursday, July 23, 2009

Is There Any Felicity Greater Than This?



*drools*

I love pan dulces!!! My mom is in town and brought these to me - all for me! (My hubby is not fond of the pan dulces - he mostly likes rich, chocolaty things and these are sugary.)

Why can I not bake like this?


These are "conchas" - l think translated as "shells". It is similar to challah but infused with a hint of cinnamon. The sugar decorating on top is a little bite of heaven.

CORRECTION: the official name is pan de huevo...I think I only call them conchas.



OOOOOoooooooohh....these are a snickerdoodle-like cookies, but no cinnamon on top, just pure sugar goodness. They are very delicate (though hearty looking) and fall apart at the touch. In Mexico, for breakfast, I would drop one in the bottom of a cup and pour the dark Mexican coffee on top.

*drools some more*

But I can't bake like this! I attempted to make Vegan scones this morning using coconut milk instead of cream. I ended up with this slopping mess that resembled a drop-biscuit batter instead of a regular biscuit batter that one can roll and knead.

>:(

I blame the egg replacer.

Here it is in the oven - I decided to scoop the whole thing in a pie plate and bake just one giant scone/biscuit.


I need to clean the oven window...here is final golden biscuit-like product.



And I decided a little taste was in order...but it really didn't have a strong coconut flavor. It wasn't fragrant, but the texture was very biscuit like. There are pecans, candied ginger, and diced dried plums in there too.

I shouldn't feel too bad though. Last night I made peanut noodles with a trader joe brand peanut sauce and my hubby told me later that he thought my peanut sauce was better.

:D

No comments: