Monday, December 22, 2008

Oh My Gosh Snow!, or How Do You Know You Have Cabin Fever?

When we moved to Seattle, the hubbster told me the summers would be gorgeous, the fall crisp, the winter rainy, and the spring rainy too.

I was never told about snow.

In college, Zecher told me of a terrible snow storm one winter in his childhood and there is photos of the storm in hubbsters family.

But I never thought I would see it in my lifetime!

The view out the blue room (aka guest room).


The view from the dining room.


In case you can't tell there is about a foot or so of snow around us.

Last Sunday (the 14th) I got a call about a late start. Then a cancellation. (I did a snoopy dance)

Then we went to school Tuesday and Wednesday (and very grumpy about it). And Thursday the storm hit...and school was cancelled for the rest of the week!

Woot!

I got to finish my projects and get some shopping done. And admire our tree...


My mother-in-law bought it for us. I think she was tired of the little one foot tree I had for years. It is quite nice.

In my family, there is the tradition of building a Creche. My grandmother put hers on her sideboard complete with fake snow and a Victorian village (demonstrating that Nativity goes beyond the bounds of time and space).

My mother was the one who decided to put the scene under the tree. Complete with Precious Moments characters and giant bleating sheep.

It was only slightly disturbing -- I turned out alright at least.

Anyway, my mother-in-law had given me a few pieces from Grandma Molly's old set and a few special carved Santa's her father had made. He was quite the craftsman and did beautiful work.

Well, I just put it all together and...

...voila! Instant Creche!

The hubbster says it should be titled "Let All Creation Rejoice". I think Creche is just fine.

So, sometime on Wednesday we noticed our house was quite cold. I mean, it as all of 30 degree outside, but it was rather colder than it ought if one had the heat on...which we thought we did...

To make a long story short, we have singe mark on our ceiling, we made a treacherous trip to Home Depot, and I convinced el hubbster to purchase a ceramic heater for a mere $20 more so that we can be toasty warm. Which we are.

We just hope our pipes don't freeze while we visit mi familia in Tejas.

And my parents-in-law bought us a cellphone.

:|

I swear we will be shoved into the 21st century scratching and screaming. Or at least putting up a well intentioned fuss.

So, we really can't leave (the condo, not the 21st cent). We were somewhat able to Saturday and I ended up lugging up groceries from TJs one block up to where we parked.

Some guy told me not pull a muscle.

Me: "Yeh..."

Guy: "It's cold out."

Me: :| "right..."

And after that more snow came...and now we can't get out.

I have grand plans for cross country skiing around our 'hood and sledding...but I can't seem to convince hubbster to do any of these things. I don't want to go alone because I might fall down and am not yet a master cc skier.

He tried to go to work today -- seriously.

And now we have to go to Houston tomorrow (hopefully) and I have yet to step foot more than once outside since Saturday.

Not joking.

But I am really loving it -- I get to be cozy warm in my house and all is grand :D

So is that cabin fever? Or am I just an introverted homebody?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not miss being that cold, but I do miss watching snow fall.