Friday, September 17, 2010

Too Much Crying Today...

Gah - I find pregnancy an uncomfortable experience. My emotions always seem to close the surface.

Today a member of our parish and a really extraordinary person reposed today. Though it was expected that Flore would pass soon, it did not make it any easier. He will be missed so very much.

Sadly, most of my crying today has not been about Flore. No, crying over the passing of a wonderful person is acceptable. I cried over food.

That's right - food.

Now, I really dislike when people, in conversation with me, begin sentences with "Well, you are pregnant...". Pregnancy is not a mentally or physically debilitating disease - it is merely uncomfortable but women are able to function quite well (thank you very much).

So, to read that I cried about food today, one might think "Oh, well, she's pregnant, so...".

I would urge you to read on to get the full picture as to why I would shed tears over food.

The development up the road from our home has taken off - in a sense. The condos have not sold and the apartments are only partially full, but the restaurants and movie theatres are doing quite well. Due to a lack of meat and vegetables in the house, as well as a need to get outside, I decided to take a walk to this development to find something for lunch. Plodding through the labyrinth of stairs and walkways, I found myself in the heart of the cement monstrosity where the movie theatre and several restaurants reside.

Deciding I was not in the mood for sushi, I was left with two choices: "Jewel Box" or "Five Guys - Burgers and Fries".

I went with the Jewel Box.

The restaurant itself is very cozy - dark wood paneling, large velvet seats and couches, and an impressive fire place. The food, on the other hand, is quite odd. I would not call this a restaurant but instead a coffee shop as it, along with pastries, is all this shop appears to be good at producing. Plus, many people were sitting around tables on laptops or reading books and seemed content sipping warm beverages and eating croissants.

Against my better judgement, I ordered a meatloaf sandwich. I knew in the back of my mind I was not going to have a pleasant experience because:

1. There was a wide assortment of bubble tea on the menu
2. Daikon and cucumber were listed as toppings for the sandwich (remember, it is a meatloaf sandwich)
3. There were lemon slices in the water container (not that lemon is bad, but one must know they probably did not wash the lemon before they put it in the container)

When I received my sandwich, I found pinkish-grey ground meat plopped on one side of the bread and cilantro, mayo, and cucumber piled on the other. Opposite the sandwich sat some limp lettuce covered in shredded cheese and black olives further wilting on the warm plate.

I nearly threw up.

Now, pregnancy has not made me a picky eater - I have been picky all my life. Still, the presentation of this sandwich was disgusting and not worth the ten dollars I spent on the meal. I gave it my best go - I pecked at the baguette, tried the salad (the dressing was sweet - why?), but I could not bring myself to touch the mounds of goo that was supposed to pass for meatloaf.

So I began to cry. I could tell people were looking at me. I know L would kill me for purchasing food this expensive and not eating it . Had I a job, this would not be a big deal. However, I am unemployed, expecting a child, and very hungry. All I could think to do is cry and try to think of how I could get my money back.

I waited till it seemed the counter was clear and I took my plate up there. I explained that I was not one to complain about food, that I found the presentation of this meal unpleasant and I could not eat it, and could I please have my money back.

Of course, I am crying while saying this - which is the only thing I can blame on my pregnancy. If I had not been pregnant, I would have been more calm. Especially when the gal at the counter said "No, we can't give you your money back". I started to sob at this.

I explained that I really could not waste my money on food that I didn't eat because of its unappealing lack of presentation. She did not offer me another dish; she simply said she could not give me my money back.

"Have you had a baguette sandwich before, "she asked.

If I had not been pregnant, and therefore emotional, I would have schooled her in the fact that I have had many a baguette sandwiches, some for the same price as her sorry sandwich, that were much more appealing and loaded with better quality ingredients (Baguette Box comes to mind).

However, I simply replied "yes".

Then a slew of customers began lining up behind me and having a crying pregnant woman is bad for business. So she gave me a gift card for the restaurant instead of reimbursing my credit card. Now, that doesn't seem right ot me, and I am thinking of posing this question to a few lawyers I know, but really is it worth it to get upset over a $10 sandwich?

Upon receiving my gift card, I scurried out of there as quickly as I could to Five Guys - Burgers and Fries. Having inhaled a delicious cheeseburger (the tomato was mealy, but given my earlier experience, I let it go), I felt much better. I also was quite impressed with the Five Guys establishment - the potatoes looked real, the toppings for the burgers seemingly endless, no trans fat, and a very tasty burger for under $5.

So, lesson learned - when I go to Thorton Creek Cinema to watch the next Harry Potter movie, I will use my gift certificate at the Jewel Box to purchase a pre-made something or other to sneak into the theatre. Then I will go to Five Guys for dinner.

I just hope L isn't too upset over the $15 I spent on lunch.

3 comments:

Emily Lorelli said...

I did almost the same thing during my pregnancy with Josie: I went to In and Out Burger -- I was so hungry!! I had Lizzie and Jacob with me so we went through the drive through. I was so looking forward to eating when we got home. Except when I unwrapped my burger, there was no meat -- just bun and lettuce and sauce! I broke down and cried. I couldn't bring myself to go get another. Just at that moment the husband of a dear friend stopped by to pick something up and inquired after the source of my distress. I felt so silly admitting that I was crying over a meatless hamburger! Then this man did an amazing thing: he went out and bought me a cheeseburger! He was my burger angel! So I know exactly how you felt today ... disappointment in food is really difficult to cope with, especially when you're pregnant! Glad Five Guys (aren't they soooooo goood?!!!) came to your rescue.

Katy said...

If Lance fusses about the money, give him my phone number. :) You poor thing! I can completely and totally sympathize with the low blood sugar and frustration.

While I don't think you should get a lawyer involved for $10, as a former restaurant employee I will say that that girl was ABSOLUTELY WRONG to refuse to give you your money back. I've never heard of such a thing. In every restaurant I worked in, if a customer had eaten less than half the meal, the policy was to first offer a replacement, and then give a full refund if they didn't want anything else. Next time, ask for a manager.

Juliana said...

Here's the scary thing Kate - she WAS the manager :| I think the business must not be doing well, but that is no excuse for bad customer service.