Saturday, May 22, 2010

If I had to...

...write a "love making" scene for a novel, it would be like this:



but obviously in words. Brooke McEldowney also did a similar strip when Amos and Edna also "discovered" each other.



For the past few months, the comic has been Gran's flashback - her memories of what it was like being a spy during WWII. It has been great to read and I hope it ends happily :)



I have a sneaking suspicion that though she is with the Austrian opera singer (hand pictured above), he will turn out to be married or something because she ends up becoming O'Malley (which is not an Austrian last name).

Either way, it AWFULLY embarrassing when one finds oneself writing about sex. Neil Gaimon explained it best in his anthology of short stories "Smoke and Mirrors". He wrote a story that is rather descriptive and, in his notes about the story, he says it was difficult to complete - he would find himself writing, blushing, putting the story away for a week or two, and then returning to try to write another section only to find himself blushing yet again.

My discomfort in describing the topic makes me contemplate how and what I will tell my own child about sex. I will try my best to not stammer and blush. Perhaps the best baby shower gift would be someone offering to tell my child the facts (and all the options) because I am sure by the time my child is curious he or she will not want to hear it from me!

No comments: