Saturday, July 5, 2008

Mugglenet

When I first encountered the Harry Potter series, one of the first things I began to search for on the Internet was Harry Potter websites.  Deathly Hallows was not yet released and I was looking for a forum where theories were discussed, you could find information on the next film release, etc.

I happened upon Mugglenet.  They seemed informed, had a nice encyclopedia, a funny caption contest, and a decent fan fic section.  I settled in and when I learned that there was a podcast, I subscribed in itunes.

I had heard of The Leaky Cauldron, but not paid much attention to it.  I listened to a snippet of the podcast on itunes and felt the conversation droll.

Then along came the JK Rowling interview a year later.  It was really well done and answered a lot of questions that I had post - Deathly Hallows (and asked some interesting ones I had not thought of asking Rowling).

But I still subscribed to mugglenet podcast and listened to it, and decided to listen to the Leaky Podcast too.

A few months ago, I think, there was an announcement about the last Harry Potter film being split into two movies.  I didn't quite catch all of the news because the announcement was made during Lent where I make an attempt to shun all media.  But, knowing that I am a HP fan, most of my family and students passed the information along to me.

After the fast, I listened to all of the Lent podcasts that I had missed.  I started with mugglenet because, well, it was habit.

I was appalled that in their discussion of the two films for Deathly Hallows they decided to play the song "Money" (you know, 80's tune "Money, Money, Money...MONEY!").  This was while people were trying to have a discussion on why and how they would split the plot of DH into two films.

It was such an immature move that I shut off the podcast and un-subscribed (best word I could come up with...).  I understand not wanting to suck up to WB execs and say "oh, it is great that you are going to do two films so we can see more of the DH storyline" because anyone who has read the books and seen the films knows that WB hardly sticks to the plot or characters of the film.  I am actually fine with that because books and films are two different forms of media and require different types of story telling.  No movie could capture every element of a book -- the sets, costumes, props, actors, etc. could look very similar to what you visualize in your head when you read a book, but all the history and nuances can not be there.

And perhaps WB is doing the two films for the money; it is possible that they will try to milk the HP fandom for all that it is worth.

But to play a song while people are trying to actually have a discussion about the film and the benefits of two films -- a song that implies it is just for the money -- is rude and immature.  Have a separate discussion, but don't interrupt decent discussion just to be annoying or prove your point.  Such behavior does not facilitate discussion but halt it.  If one can only give a single reason for a decision without reference or consideration of other possibilities, than it is futile to have a discussion with that one person.

And so I bid adieu to mugglenet and listen to the leaky podcast instead (even though there are a lot more inside jokes there I don't get).   They have some pretty good discussion and I appreciate their humor a little more.

Oh, I still troll the fan fic and caption contest on mugglenet, but I refuse to listen to the podcast and they are not my source for current HP news.

No comments: