Monday, May 19, 2008

Here's how Holy Week went down...

It is often the case that one starts with good intentions, and then plans fall by the way side like so many pairs of dirty socks.

Sunday: Eat sushi. It is good. Go to church then bed.

Monday: have no time for anything - wake up, teach, church

Tuesday: same, though am able to record pre - communion prayers in garageband. Export all files to itunes and they go unedited.

Wednesday: VERY hungry - begin getting stitch on my side and warm bread sounds luxurious. Drink water.

Thursday: I am focused during Mass with students but only because I have students slouching, tickling each other, and in other ways misbehaving. I really like the Celtic Lord Have Mercy (A-keer-en-deh Tro-kerah -- I have no doubt butchered it).
I do stay up till midnight working on grading, etc. Purchase food. Warm food is GOOD!!!

Friday: Went to all services and drank TONS of water after the Veneration of the Epitaphion (sp?) - stayed up organizing food, cooking bacon (drool), etc. Listen to more prayers on ipod.

Saturday: Go to services. Cook more and get NOT ENOUGH SLEEP!!! Quiches look really good. Accidentely put kulich icing in mouth - AGH!!! I spit it out and reflect that it is really runny. I was supposed to put one TABLESPOON of lemon juice in the powdered sugar, NOT the juice of one lemon!

PASCHA: IT IS BEAUTIFUL - all of the services are beautiful, but you forget just how glorious they are. I vow next year to keep a daily journal and not one hastily written around the mid-feast of Pascha.

We had two people (newly Chrismated) pass out - there was an ambulance! I am sure the EMTs thought "Why are these people at church this late at night...?" And the BIRDS were singing, their melody floating in the pre-dawn hours of Sunday. Do birds sing that early? The sun had not even caused the sky to glow, yet they chirped as though it were a sunny day.

A wonderful Pascha indeed!

No comments: